1. Welcome & Introductions
2. Notes of November meeting and matters arising from November Meeting
November notes were agreed
Matters arising November notes:
Point 4 - A subgroup has been agreed and a date has been set for the first meeting, which is the 16th December.
Point 10 - The cycle training was a success and 2 complete beginners managed to get going on bikes.
Point 10 - A draft policy for female ride leaders and safety was tabled and some adjustments were made. (See attached)
3. Pedal Power
Thanks to John Hearns and Karen Servadei for their articles. Distributions set for this Friday. Andy, Liz and Hilary have volunteered to give out the pedal power from 7-9am. Liz will email the elist to ask for more volunteers. Julian asked for more contributions for the next issue. Please email contributions to him.
4. Schools Project
Another successful bid, this time from the Key fund, means that we have another ?9,250. The money must be used in a particular postcode and Abbeywood School is a potential place where we might progress a further project. Hilary has agreed to contact early in the New Year. It was suggested that we try to find out if any schools applied for the TfL money as these schools might be suitable targets.
Ray, Kate, Liz and Nick are all keen to continue their work on the subgroup and have agreed to take on the new project with Hilary. Derek has also volunteered to help with the new project. The money must be spent before 30th June 2004. We will get 90% upfront and the remaining 10% once the project is completed. Details of how exactly we spend the money have not yet been decided and we may decide to target kids who already have their own bikes but need training on how to become more proficient on them.
Nick has contacted Laura Rowley (for David Moorhouse). David, the Cycling Officer for Greenwich Council is still on sick leave. We need to try to see if we can get anyone else from the council to help with the projects. Nick has agreed to chase the council some more.
Eltham Green school: Progress is a bit quiet at the moment and Cycle Training are keeping things ticking along for us. It was decided that it was better for kids to have a cycling helmet purchased specifically for them rather than for us to buy a pool of helmets, which may be badly fitting for the kids. At the request of the school Cycle training are now focussing on fewer lessons for more kids. We also have the DoT money and we can move a further ?1000 from bike purchase funds to training funds. Cycle training, the school and ourselves are meeting on 18th December to take things forward.
We also have one more outstanding bid from the neighbourhood renewal fund community chest. We put a bid for ?5,000 for further cycle training at Eltham Green School and will hear the outcome of this in January. To be spent on cycle training. This must be spent by March 2004. It was suggested that we should get Clive Efford on board.
5. Planning Issues
The Heritage Centre is now open and no cycle parking has been installed. Cycle parking was part of the planning permission. It is a real issue: Greenwich council have stated that every building erected within the Arsenal site must have cycle parking yet their own does not have any. Greenwich council have been contacted and we were told that some parking might be built sometime in the new financial year. This is too vague. Barry agreed to write to the council expressing our concerns and asking for the subject to be tabled at the next council meeting. And cc to Douglas Ellison. It is worth asking a labour councillor to lobby for us too.
An email was sent around the e-group expressing concerns that building works around the Greenwich Home Zone Scheme has meant that roads were blocked to cyclists. It was pointed out that the street closures are temporary only during the building works and that cyclists can still use them anyway.
Mast Pond Warf next to the Woolwich ferry, a route especially for cyclists has been closed. However, new planning permission states that the route will be reopened once the building works are complete, but does not state what will happen during the building works. Barry has written to Peter Brooks and is awaiting a reply. It was suggested that we ask Peter Brooks along to the next meeting and copy the emails that we send him to the ward councillors. It was also suggested that we set up a meeting with David Moorhouse?s manager (Mike Skipper is supposed to be covering his work. Nick has contacted Mike but with no response.) There is a general issue with the council as they are heading for an under spend. Nick tabled an LCNetwork scheme and asked why this had been chosen over other more pressing schemes. He asked the group for comments on the scheme. The group considered that this scheme was unimaginative, was a waste of ?30,000 and that the money should be spent on a more beneficial scheme. Nick has agreed to write to David Jessop.
Sports development has become Sports Promotion. There is a consultation document coming out about the sports development strategy. We need to ensure that we get to see and comment on the consultation document. Hilary and Nick have agreed to respond. It was suggested that this be discussed more fully at the next meeting in January.
6. Ride and Ride Guidelines
Kate tabled a first draft. A number of points were discussed with regards to 16-18 years olds and whether we should distribute the policy on our rides. It was decided that we would find out what the LCC does. Hilary agreed to contact them.
Some questions were raised around the maximum mileage of easy going rides and it was agreed to change mileage to time and agreed that 4 hours would be the maximum. It was suggested that we add information about tools and inner tubes etc to the website. This was agreed.
Everything is set and the catering looks great. We have sold 66 tickets so far and we need to sell 120 to break even. It was decided to introduce a special offer of Buy 9 tickets and get one free.
A press release has been issued and the posters are available for collection from the Forum @Greenwich.
8. Congestion charging Birthday
The 17th February is the date. Hilary agreed to check what the other coordinators are planning.
9. Spring into Action Campaign
Kate has spoken to the PCT and they are interested in doing something with us. Kate will set up a sub group. Hilary has agreed to email the elist asking for volunteers.
10. Anything else
Thought for the future ... Do we need a publicity officer?
John Hearns told the group that Hampshire County Council sell cheap reflective gear and road safety equipment on their website, which people might be interested in. He agreed to circulate details on the e-list.