1. Welcome & Introductions
Anthony Austin (Chair), Max Beckman, Matt Boucher, Andy Braben, Stephen Craven, Julian Dobson, Liz Delap, Sarah Ellis, Teri Griffiths, Derek Mark, Stuart Parkins, David Senior.
Apologies from Paul McQuillen.
Also present - Donald Anyiam, London Borough of Greenwich (LBG);
Sarah Slater, Community Cycling Officer for London Cycling Campaign (LCC) with Tommo
2. Minutes of Last Meeting.
Approved (proposed Sarah Ellis, seconded Julian)
3. Matters Arising
None other than as discussed below.
4. Planning Issues
a) Old Royal Naval College
Donald confirmed that the ORNC path will be accessible 24 hours a day, as this is a requirement for Sustrans routes, unless the College can argue otherwise. Work at the east end is complete except for signage; a temporary moveable sign within the college grounds is proposed initially until requirements are clearer. Access at the west end will be via the west gates during Cutty Sark restoration but thereafter will be via the Lewin Gate as intended. The official opening is being discussed with Helen Bardi of the Greenwich Foundation and will probably be late February. Donald said that GC representatives would be invited. There is unlikely to be a second ceremony on the day of the Mayor's Ride. GC confirmed that we considered practical opening more important than a ceremony but would be happy to attend.
b) Mast Pond Wharf
The hazardous wooden strip has been removed and will be replaced as a cycle/pedestrian path demarcation by some form of non-slip material.
c)Training by London Borough of Greenwich
Michael Attride of LBG is now arranging individual cycle training and has a team of 5 regular instructors and 3 helpers with a mobile van. Anyone interested in joining the team has to apply through the "Manpower" agency: LBG covers the cost of training instructors. e-mail email@example.com. Action: Anthony to invite Michael to a GC meeting; Liz offered to meet Michael to discuss training.
d) Usage Provision
covered under 4f.
e) LCN+ Link 57 (Abbey Wood)
Charlie Lloyd of LCC is looking at amending traffic barriers on Abbey Wood Road to allow cycles past but prevent motorcycle access.
f) LCN+ Link 60 (Eltham)
Traffic barriers at Reventlow Road SE9 have been improved as above.
g) North Greenwich Station.
London Underground funding is being sought for facilities which may take the form of 'hubs' providing paid secure parking and maintenance by a franchised dealer. A similar facility may be provided at the Greenwich DLR/Southeastern station. Data is required on levels of cycle thefts at the site as well as demand (Police statistics show 206 thefts reported overall in the Borough in 2007 but this is believed to be well below the actual number of incidents). GC offered to help (see below).
LCN+ Link 56 (Thames Path)
Donald raised this at the end of the meeting. Since the Thames Path is no longer to be part of LCN+, it could be classed as a "greenway" to attract alternative ongoing funding. He asked whether GC support the move. The group said we could not give a firm support without knowing what "greenway" status implied but would not oppose it if Donald considered it appropriate. The deadline for an application by LBG is 15 February.
5. Community Cycling
This was Sarah Slater's presentation. TfL have created a £200,000 budget for community cycling projects, with grants of up to £5000 for any one project delivered through community organisations such as LCC Borough Groups (but not local authorities). Examples might be promoting cycling locally through big events like Bike Week and Freewheel, 'taster' sessions (one-off training days, as is already being arranged with Simon Earp at Greenwich University for new students), or doing up reclaimed bikes for sale to returning cyclists. Another actual project is with Charlton (Special) School who have a number of bikes available and wish to offer training to parents but no staff at present qualified to do the training. Another idea is setting up BUGs (Bike User Groups). Action - Matt to find out if there is a BUG at Eltham Green College.
It was agreed that GC is not particularly in need of funds but is short of volunteers. This grant scheme could be used to pay people from outside the group to undertake work such as training or cycle traffic surveys, provided GC mange the project. Donald says that LBG employ "enumerators" who may be available for survey work. The deadline for the first round of grants is 22 February (thereafter 17 May). Action - Anthony to prepare a bid for survey work.
Liz suggested travel plans and cycle clubs at primary schools as a suitable project. Sarah agreed that most training by LBG is years 5 & 6, whereas LCC wishes to focus on younger children and adults.
Anthony suggested funding for Bike Week events. Sarah said that events aimed at priority groups such as women, those with disabilities, returning cyclists aged 40+, etc. might qualify. Funding could cover large re-usable banners, which was agreed to be a good idea.
Sarah reminded the group of the monthly LCC social sessions (at the Leathermarket pub on the 3rd Wednesday each month - next date 20 February). Action - Stephen to advertise via Yahoogroup.
For more details of existing projects see www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=177.
6. Greenwich Park
The inquest on Len Woods was cancelled because the driver who is alleged to have killed him has been charged and will appear in court later this year. Action - Anthony to find out the date of the trial. Liz has had no response yet to our last letter to Derek Spurr. Action - Liz to follow this up. Action - Teri to find out the date of the next meeting of the Friends of Greenwich Park.
The planned December issue would be held over to February as there was unlikely to be any significant news to report before then.
8. Pedal Power
The next publication date was agreed as Tuesday 26 February. Action - Liz to advertise for distribution volunteers via the Yahoogroup. Deadline for submissions is Monday 18 February. Action - Stephen to submit an article summarising recent news on planning issues, plus the Mayor's ride and calling for volunteers for traffic counts, also giving Jawaid Khazi's details for reporting cycle thefts. Action - Anthony to provide photos of recent rides.
A separate handout would be issued asking people for their experience of cycle theft and potential usage of cycle parking hubs. Action - Andy to put a response form on the website.
9 Forthcoming Dates
a) Mayor's Ride - Sunday 27 April
No further details yet
b) Bike Week 2008 - 14 to 22 June
There was no time during the meeting to discuss this but it was agreed after the meeting to hold a planning meeting at 7pm on Mondya 11 February in the Dog and Bell pub.
12 Any Other Business
Woolwich Centre presentation
Donald mentioned this meeting arranged by LBG as part of public consultation on the proposed Woolwich Centre redevelopment. It would be an opportunity to request levels of cycle provision. 11.30am on Tuesday 4 March at the East Greenwich Forum. Action - Liz to attend on behalf of LBG.