1. Welcome & Introductions
Julian Dobson (Chair), Anthony Austin, Andy Braben, John Clarke, Stephen Craven, Liz Delap, Derek Mark, Stuart Parkins, David Senior and Ray Suomi. Donald Anyiam (L.B.Greenwich) in attendance.
2.Minutes of Last Meeting.
3. Matters Arising.
None except as detailed below.
Old Royal Naval College Path
Donald presented a paper from the Greenwich Foundation (site owners). Path construction has been delayed for two reasons: the need for planning permission for a slightly revised route at the western end to avoid cyclist/pedestrian conflict, and alleged conflict with the redevelopment of Greenwich Pier (due to start late 2007). LBG and Greenwich Cyclists agree that the pier is not relevant and that the path should be completed as soon as planning issues have been resolved.
Peninsula developments / Thames Path – Granite Wharf etc.
Donald presented a bar chart showing phases of development (2007-2011) for the site which will be mixed (social and private housing and commercial). During construction of phase 1 the existing inland route will be used but all agreed that much improved signage is needed. Sustrans produce appropriate diversion signage. Action – Ray to find examples. A Section 106 agreement requires a 6m wide segregated riverside path to be complete and in use before the first phase dwellings are sold (2009). Members expressed concern that the developers would fail to implement the agreement in practice but Donald said that with the riverside path being an existing right of way (unlike Mast Pond Wharf) there would be more legal backing to it. Developers would have to serve a 7-day highway closure notice any time they wanted to close the path during phase 2 and the Council would require proof that the closure was truly necessary. Public notices will be displayed shortly and we could raise an objection to the diversion on public interest grounds.
Ray reported that apart from Bike Week there were few Greenwich-led rides coming up as he would be away for most of May and June. Southwark and Lewisham have a programme ready.
Bike week – 16-24 June.
Liz had produced the leaflet and had some grayscale versions to distribute. Agreed to print 1000 colour ones Action – Stuart for distribution with Pedal Power and through tourist information centres & libraries. Action – Derek. An Evening Standard article had already picked up the London Curiosities ride from the website, unfortunately before an error on timing had been corrected. 50 each of armbands and water bottles to be sourced from Good Going or Bike Week. Action – Stephen.
Tour de France – 7/8 July.
The route of the feeder ride on the 7th had not yet been finalised but the preference would be on the north bank (the south bank being an alternative if the tunnel lifts are out of action on the day). Timings were agreed on the outward leg: pickup 10.00 Woolwich, 10.30 Charlton Park, 10.45 Greenwich Park (top), 11.00 Cutty Sark Gardens. To arrive Hyde Park well before the 13.00 start of the event. Two return trips were suggested leaving Hyde Park 16.30 and 18.00. Action – Julian/Ray to agree detailed routes. Julian had pre-booked 30 places but it was agreed to increase this to 50. Participants need to pre-register with us using the 'enquiries' e-mail. Others may choose to register with LCC as individuals. It is not known whether there are reserved seats in the stand. There was a suggestion of asking a local police cyclist to act as our marshal. Practical issues raised in an e-mail from LCC include first aid provision and dealing with lost riders. Action – Julian to investigate these points).
It was agreed to design a publicity leaflet to be handed out with the next Pedal Power, to include meeting places & times, contact details, list of attractions Action – Stuart to design leaflet.
7. Pedal Power
The deadline for the next issue was agreed as Thursday 17 May with distribution on Thursday 24th. 500 copies had been inadequate last time, so 700 to be printed next time. Articles would include: update on planning stories (Anthony); maintenance classes (Julian); Tour de France (Ray); foot tunnel survey results (Liz).
8. Treasurer's report
Derek said he would produce an annual report at the AGM.
9. Annual General Meeting – 6 June.
To be followed as in previous years by a buffet at the Dog & Bell but this time only food to be provided from club funds, not drinks. Action – Julian to arrange.
10. Any Other Business
Monitoring of foot tunnels.
Still no response received from Jeff Horseman (lifts manager). There had been a good response from users detailing unannounced lift closures at both sites. "Staff shortages" is the usual reason cited. A summary will appear in Pedal Power but the request for further reports will remain open. We now have enough data for a formal complaint to the Scrutiny Committee as discussed last month. Donald suggesting copying the complaint to the CCE (Cycling Centre of Excellence – part of TfL) as the Greenwich tunnel is an official LCN+ link, and to the ODA (Olympic Delivery Authority) as it is an official strategic link to the Games venues.