Notes of meeting 6th November
Present: 16 attending
Welcome to all new members
2. Note of previous meeting
3. LCC AGM
4. Pedal Power
Kate will be introducing a regular deadline for the production of PP which is the last Wednesday of each month ready for printing on the following Monday.
Pete offered to help with the printing
Kate appealed for ideas for articles. For sale/wanted column suggested.
5. Cycling Strategy
Weve received a response saying that they will take the strategy into account when the Local Implementation Plan is produced, earliest April 2003. Furthermore press reports indicate that London Boroughs are failing to spend their allocations for the London Cycle Network, with boroughs in the SE, including Greenwich, faring worst.
Agreed that we should press for these figures and write to Cllr Peter Brooks (copy to Len Duvall) expressing our disappointment.
We should also lobby the council (January meeting?) in order to press the case. We should notify them of our intention.
We should also send details to the press and do an article in Pedal Power.
For future, we might use a model email letter to Cllr Brooks.
6. Thames Path & Sustrans
Rushton is planning to get a meeting of the sub-group together. Item carried forward for next month.
7. GC website
Doug is planning a revamp for the New Year. The number of front page buttons need to be reduced. We need a new photo for the front page does anyone have anything suitable?
Resolved to look at other sites and for discussion on the elist (on content and navigability).
8. Planning issues
Creek Bridge surface due to be replaced within 2 weeks.
Julian mentioned that he had complained about a bus cutting him up and had received a good response it seemed to be taken very seriously. He felt it was worthwhile for anyone experiencing similar problems to complain.
Greenwich Town Centre strategy. Proposes some pedestrianisation. Copies of the full strategy available from blanaid.@greenwich.gov.uk. For discussion at next meeting.
Our planning co-ordinator, Greg, needs assistance. Volunteers needed. BM to ask elist.
Velodrome visit almost certain to be cancelled due to wet weather. Need to think of an alternative.
Sunday is Manningtree ride.
Barry is not available for most weekends in November, so anyone interested in leading a ride is welcome to do so.
Easy going rides December will be led by Karen to Borough Market.
Kate to do January ride.
Liz to do February ride.
Need to publicise these rides via leafleting of bike shops in pre-Christmas time. Kate has artwork for leaflets which she can adjust. Volunteers will distribute to bike shops. 7 x 50 copies each with letter suggesting a contact should the shops require more.
Needs a press release.
Karen absent but reported bills all paid with a healthy balance!
11. Xmas Celidh
Scheduled for 14 December at West Greenwich House. Tickets £12. 50 sold, 200 capacity maximum.
Helpers needed for door (with bouncer!) bike parking and co-ordinator.
Barry volunteered to co-ordinate
List circulated for other volunteers in half hour stints. Other helpers still needed.
Posters printed and to be distributed to Royal Standard, Greenwich central, Woolwich, Charlton, Blackheath, Plumstead and Old Kent Road.
Food will be served at the interval.
12. Any Other Business
Pub opposite has complained about damage to the floors from SPD shoes be careful!
Kate reported that the council is considering installing speed humps in the Greenwich Foot Tunnel to deter cyclists from riding through.
Laban Centre refusing our request for a sneak preview. Rushton to investigate.
Greenwich Cyclists, c/o The Forum, 177 Trafalgar Road, Greenwich, London SE10 9EQ