Greenwich cyclists have two cycling instructors who are qualified to teach to National Standards (summarised below). These have replaced the old Cycling Proficiency awards, and cover safe use of roads and cycling through traffic, as well as cycling skills.
- Our instructors work on a voluntary basis, but Greenwich Cyclists make a small charge to cover insurance costs (see below).
- We can provide training for adults or children, in groups of up to five or six, or on a one-to-one basis. If you want group training you may need to find your own group members.
- Training can be at weekends or during the week, depending on availability of individuals and instructors.
- Training venues can be arranged to suit trainees, according to where they live in (or close to) the borough.
- We cannot provide bicycles, anyone wishing for training will need to have a roadworthy bicycle. We will give advice about your bicycle or suitable repair shops if necessary. We advise the use of a helmet for levels 2 and 3.
If you live in the borough you may be eligible for some free training from the council. Contact Michael Attride on 020 8356 8074 or Michael.attride at greenwich.gov.uk.
If you would like to discuss your training needs or make a booking, please email
enquiries at greenwichcyclists.org.uk
First Lesson Prices:
£8.00 each for adults. £5.00 each for concessionaries
or children up to age 16.
Second and subsequent Lesson Prices: 10% Discount
£7.20 each for adults. £4.50 each for concessionaries
or children up to age 16.
Level 1A (off road)
Bicycle control skills, including getting on, starting to pedal, steering, using brakes and stopping unaided.
1 session, for adults and children aged 5 or more.
Level 1B (Off-road)
Use of gears, manoeuvring to avoid hazards, signalling and looking behind without wobbling, stopping quickly with control, and carrying out a simple bike check.
1-2 sessions, for adults and children aged 7 or more.
Level 2 (Use of quiet to moderately busy roads)
Starting and finishing an on-road journey. Awareness of other road users, passing parked vehicles, passing side roads, turning right and left between major and minor roads and use of appropriate lanes. Basic understanding of highway code and road signs.
2-3 sessions, for adults and children aged 9 or more.
Level 3 (Riding on busy and complex roads. Route planning)
Using roundabouts, traffic-light controlled junctions and turning left onto multi-lane roads. Hazards and strategies to deal with them. Planning journeys, including (if required) specific routes.
2-3 sessions, for adults and children aged 12 or more.
Session numbers shown are for guidance, and will depend on the skills of those taking part.
If you would like to sign up for any training please contact Liz Delap on 020 8691 2065 or email enquiries at greenwichcyclists.org.uk.
Children will need written parental consent and fees are payable in advance. Payment can be made using Nochex, or by cheque, details below.
Cheques, payable to Greenwich Cyclists, should be posted to Liz Delap, 78 Royal Hill, London, SE10 8RT. Please also e-mail us and phone Liz on 020 8691 2065, stating the level you wish to work at, and your telephone number.